With the rumor that Yoda may be receiving his own movie, along with other familiar characters getting their own films, I’ve decided to take it upon myself to throw some ideas Lucasfilm’s way.
Here are the five characters to spin-off, and what their stories should be about.
1. Boba Fett – Sure, sometimes knowing too much about a character’s backstory can ruin him, but for argument’s sake, let’s say they make a movie about an adult Boba Fett. And just for fun, base it on The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, with Fett playing the “Man with No Name” role made famous by Clint Eastwood. Substitute The Clone Wars baddie Cad Bane for Lee Van Cleef’s Angel Eyes, and a new character to fill the role of Eli Wallach’s Tuco, and I think we’ve just struck gold! You could even set it in the early days of the Rebellion to match up the Civil War subplots from the other film, and you’d be good to go!
2. Qui-Gon Jinn – My version of this movie would more or less be styled after the Indiana Jones films with Qui-Gon being the lovable rogue and twelve-year-old Obi-Wan Kenobi serving as Short Round. Basically, Qui-Gon would hear of a MacGuffin that he’d need to get to stop some villain from taking over a planet/threatening the Republic/destroying the Galaxy. It’d be a traditional swashbuckling adventure flick and maybe even go into the backstory of Qui-Gon learning the secret of becoming one with the Force from the Whills, just to tie up that plot hole from the films (I know it’s in the books, but the movies should make sense when viewed in order). For bonus points, cast Michael Fassbender as the young Qui-Gon Jinn.
3. Bail Organa – I want a “dark times” era spy thriller/action flick not unlike the Bourne or rebooted James Bond films. Bring Jimmy Smits back in a large role, cast someone as a Rebel agent who reports to him, and maybe throw in a cameo by a twelve-year-old Leia Organa. But really, no Force-powers or super-human abilities — just a group of Rebels fighting against the Empire.
4. Palpatine – I know there was the novel Darth Plagueis that went more into Palpatine’s backstory, but I’d like to see it on screen. If it needed to veer away from the book, that’s fine with me (being that I have little love for the EU). I’m not even sure what style I’d pick for this one, but I think it’d be fascinating to see Palpatine become the man we meet in The Phantom Menace.
5. The Gungans – I want a movie about the first Gungan pod race team, based on Cool Runnings. Why? Just because that concept makes me laugh.
And that’s about it. Lucasfilm, drop me a tweet at @DarthChop. I’m ready to join your think tank anytime.
PHOTO SOURCE: old jedi face-off