Toy Fair is going on in New York right now, and that of course means a bit of news for the Hasbro Star Wars line.
- The Black Series will include both 6″ and 3 3/4″ figures ($19.99 and $9.99), which will be highly detailed and jam-packed with articulation, and should appeal to most adult collectors.
- Saga Legends will be a new 3 3/4″ action figure line with only five points of articulation and a lower price point ($5.99) to appeal to kids.
- Mission Series are a set of two-packs in the Saga Legends style at a lower price point ($9.99).
- Class I vehicles will be going on hiatus after the “Yoda Line.” Class II will remain and continue the scaled-down vehicle approach. No giant vehicles are likely until Episode VII debuts.
- There are a number of Vintage Series exclusives coming, including Boba Fett’s Slave I and the TIE Interceptor to Amazon, a Republic Gunship and Bigg’s Darklighter X-Wing to Toys ‘R Us, Birth of Darth Vader and Darth Vader Evolutions multipacks to Target, and an Ewok Catapult with two Ewoks and Imperial Scanning Crew two-pack to K-Mart.
Personally, I’m really excited about the Saga Legends line. I’ve ranted many times that $10 per figure with something like 50 figures a year is too much for me (it really isn’t, but I also collect movies, books, comics, and other things). I’d like to be in the Star Wars game somewhat more than the four or five figures per year that I’ve been doing since about 2002, and since I don’t care about articulation (as they just sit on shelves in my basement), the Saga Legends line is about perfect for what I want to do. The figures remind me of a weird hybrid of Kenner-era Vintage and Kenner/Hasbro figures from 1995 through 2000/2001, so they’ll be right at home with the majority of my collection. I’ll likely still pick up the occasional figure from the Black Series — especially if it was a semi-important character that isn’t in the Saga Legends line (Duchess Satine or Bo-Katan from Clone Wars would be the types I’d be looking at) — but at a certain point, resculpts of existing figures do me no good, so I’ll be passing on the first wave at least and likely stocking up on Saga Legends Clone Troopers.
Galactic Hunter has a much more detailed write up of Toy Fair, including photos, so I’d recommend checking them out.